We have a unique review policy, which combines two different parts: our rating system and our review guidelines.
Rating system is simple as that: every game can be scored using our scale from 1 to 10, where 1 is the lowest rating possible and 10 is the highest one. If the game gets 1 it’s basically unplayable, so disgusting, miserable or bugged that it’s impossible to play it nowadays, it simply does not hold up with the modern standards of quality in the industry. If the game receives 10, it’s a masterpiece, game that will be remembered for years. Here is our detailed review system from 10 to 1.
10. Masterpiece, stunning, outstanding, one of the best of, if not the best in its genre. Usually games of this kind have a very positive impact on the industry, perception of the reality, are recalled by people for generations. A game of this kind either has a fantastic level of immersion, including graphics, visual design, voices, sounds and music and is very convenient to play overall either has a very deep fascinating gameplay, full of memorable impressive moments, very rich storyline and a high level of freedom of your activities. A game may be totally scripted but still be rated that highly if it leaves a wow effect behind it and is a source of very strong and enjoyable emotions, feelings and impressions.
9. Excellent. A game of this kind is neat, pleasant to play, nicely done, overall good, near perfect, does not have any disadvantages, but does not leave any fond memories, strong impressions, unforgettable memories or questionable evaluations. This is a very strong product dedicated for mass audience featuring the main traits that are in demand nowadays. Usually a game of this kind has good gameplay, graphics, sounds, responsive controls, adjusted difficulty, and very intriguing storyline. The game with perfect balance but flowed graphics or with realistic graphic or little flawed gameplay can also be scored this way. In general, this is a product that is almost perfect, but not perfect overall.
8. Good. Games of this kind leave positive impression and good memories but they don’t impress and don’t tend to be popular among all categories of gamers. Usually graphics, gameplay, sounds and music are evaluated as good. The game therefore can be called good and receive a respective grade from us.
7. Near good. A game may have flawed gameplay, awfully written dialogs or very poor voicing of actors, some non-critical bugs that ruin the impression or have negative impact on its image. If a game has one or two flawed elements and their execution is that low that it leaves mixed impressions, it has this rating. For instance, a game may have average gameplay, but good graphics and sounds. That’s 7/10 for us. A game may have poor balance but almost perfect or perfect graphics and sounds. That’s also 7/10 for us. A game may have ordinary gameplay, which is leveled up by graphics and music or in opposite amazing gameplay which is spoiled by mediocre graphic. If combined quality of all elements does not let us call the game good but it is very close to this definition, we call it near good and rate as 7/10.
6. Above average. A game that is needed to be given a chance. All elements are done on the level that is above the modern standards of an ordinary game in the industry. It has some negative traits, some problematic elements but in general is above all average games and stands apart from them. It does not leave any negative emotions but does not leave any positive ones neither; it can be interesting sometimes to play it, but not exactly to that extent that you want it. It does not hold you to the screen and does not capture your imagination, may be interesting to play at the first glance but after some time becomes frustrating, boring or slightly interesting to play.
5. Average game. Everything here is on mediocre level.
4. Below average. Certain elements are so flawed that leave negative impression. The game does not cause strong negative emotions, however can be slightly annoying or displeasing to play. A game with fundamentally broken balance, a game with very poor graphics or with bad or irritating sounds may receive this grade from us. It’s still playable and you can even try to enjoy it but why where there are better options that will save your nerves instead.
3. Almost bad. Everything here is almost bad: sounds, graphics, gameplay, controls – everything with the only exception of one or two elements. Very poor, miserable gameplay may be compensated by somewhat decent graphics and very awful, disgusting graphics may be mitigated by at least acceptable gameplay. The amount of negativity coming from these games is that high that you need to stay away from them – one or two features can’t fix the broken product.
2. Bad. Everything here is bad no matter how you look at it. That’s why it’s not recommended for anyone.
1. Awful. The most disgusting games belong to this category. They are not just poor – they are awful in every way possible. A game with critical bugs, which don’t let you to launch it or play it may receive this grade from us too. A game with a very low level of execution or a product, which does not cause any interest and is not just waste of time, but a harmful waste of time may be graded this way. A game, which distorts the psyche, the game that is so boring, frustrating that you want to delete it after the first minutes of playing also can be reviewed with this score. A game must have fundamental flaws and be highly disappointing or frustrating to receive this grade from us.
We review only games that we are proficient at. If we don’t specialize in this genre or don’t have enough knowledge, skills or opportunities, we won’t be able to do that. We play the game on the maximum settings that are possible; however, if it causes difficulties related to performance or stable play, we may use medium or low settings of quality.
We don’t accept gifts, review copies, promo material or anything related to this. All games are bought to evaluate them in consideration with their cost for impartial and unbiased review. If you want us to review your product, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We review only two kinds of games: unpopular games of present or very well popular but forgotten games of the past. If we believe that a game needs our (and your) attention, we’ll write about it. There is no reason for us to review popular products that have plenty of callbacks in the Internet. If it deems to us that a game needs to be mentioned on our pages, we’ll do this. If a product is already popularized, no one will ever benefit from another review, so we won’t do this.
Popular products of the past needs to be mentioned more often as it helps people to be introduced to old classic games. If the game is ten years old or older, the chances that we’ll write a review about it are very high. It’s always interesting to see how old but proven classic games of the past aged up to date, so writing about this segment of market may be useful for these who missed these times and is not sure whether to buy or not a game from 2001, 2003 or 2007 because the person does not know if it’s enjoyable now or have changed that way that’s it’s impossible to play it nowadays.
Modern games of the present needs to be popularized to give their authors a second chance. Majority of reviewers talk only about the popular projects, denying, ignoring, skipping small indie products, which quality is no less or even higher than modern popular AAA-titles have. Because of this, it’s very hard for small studios to compete with major players on the market. We want to level the chances by giving them opportunity to talk about their products on the pages of our site. This means that we’ll be interviewing them a lot. In addition to this, we’ll be writing reviews on unpopular projects to help them gain more recognition that they have at the moment.
We also will be talking about major games and large game companies and the main goal is to help companies to promote their goods in the Internet. We believe in competition and we believe that quality does not mean quantity and even small independent studios of developers can also produce good products. This means a lot for us.